Saturday, August 30, 2008

Astrology, FATE, Mr. GOD & its derivatives

I feel happy to express some of my thoughts, revelations, 'My Truths' & experiences . I hope it triggers some thoughts on growth and produce value to people who read this. If not, at least an amusing read.

I was raised in a orthodox Hindu family with a belief system that God, an Omnipotent being exists and govern every being on Earth. During my childhood, I grew up with the belief that there is God who goes by different names and he takes care of all your needs. In my last year of high school I started to get disconnected with the thought of an 'single omnipotent being' sitting somewhere and governing everybody:

What is His purpose?


  • Why does he have to create humans, have some deeds categorized as 'Good' and some as 'Evil' , reward people who does 'good deeds' , punish people who does 'bad deeds', evaluate them based on their actions and send them to a place called 'heaven' and 'hell'?
  • If He is the one who created 'Good' , 'Bad' & humans , why does He make some people do good/bad deeds , and again rewards them based on the actions which He made them do. What is the point?
  • If He is Omnipotent Master of all that exists, why does he accept 1, 28, 108, 1008, coconuts (In India, especially south India, Lord Ganesha is famous for this) and costly gold ornaments, Cash from his subjects and grant them what they ask for? If he is doing this how can He be the one who knows all that is there to be known? Is he doing this as a hobby? business? or Are all these be a creation of Human Mind?
I wanted to ask people who uses the phrase "God fearing" when they talk:
  • If an all pervading singular super-conscious being expects the people whom He created in the first place, be afraid of him , make his subjects do evil stuff which He Himself created, can He be GOD?
  • Can any GOD who elicits a low Conscious feeling called FEAR from his subjects, be 'GOD 'in the first place?
At this point I thought: Is there a possibility that all these rituals & were created by human mind. I wanted Solid answers. So I started grabbing whatever books I can and became voracious consumer of various thoughts. Being in a orthodox Hindu Family, I had(have) knowledge access to various works of Vivekananda and translated version of Upanishads in second hand book stores.

Back then, in my adolescence, I had not got some concepts which were conveyed from some rational minds, before. May be my brain, at that time, was not wired to grasp the (or background family conditioning) concepts said at that time!

The following excerpt is from RajaYoga by patanjali which triggered some serious questioning about the way I went about 'worshiping' God (just because I was expected to be that way by parents & family members) :

"
....The man who thinks that he is receiving response to his prayers does not know that the fulfillment comes from his own nature, that he succeeded by the mental attitude of prayer in waking up a bit of infinite power which is coiled up withing himself. What, thus, men ignorantly worship under various names, through fear and tribulation, the Conscious One declares to the world to be the real power residing dormant in every being,...

"
As I opened myself to new ideas and reevaluate my existing beliefs and ideas, now, I am in whole new paradigm on life.

Now, I do not subscribe to a specific religion or do not need an idea or concept of an entity called GOD: a superior being sitting somewhere governing and moving everybody's life. With this above idea, I also believe there can be nothing called FATE: the idea that says, for humans, everything is predestined, that before getting born one is destined to go in some paths, meet specific people, marry particular person, get x number of kids, die at particular date.
Thanks to Vivekananda's works, RajaYoga and Bhakti Yoga, Ayn Rand, many more books and articles.

But somehow, I WAS thinking there is something out there in astrology from this perspective:
There might be some forces in universe which is not known to human brain (science) yet which might affect human lives and decisions.
That idea shattered and in came the revelation that nothing is predictable; it is all what one creates for oneself. After reading the following articles,

E=mc^2: Astrology Vs Science I
and
E=mc^2: Astrology Vs Science II: Linda Goodman debunked

This is what I got:

If there is no entity called GOD there cant be a thing called FATE ( by fate I mean the idea that for humans everything is predestined).
so,
If nothing is predestined how can there be a predictive theory ( astrology) because astrology conforms to idea of FATE( that events occurring in human life are fixed and predetermined)and there cannot be a PREDICTIVE SCIENCE.

My close friends, parents,WONDER about my assertiveness and totally opposite stance when compared to some years ago. They have the notion (my parents) that such stances of mine are 'youthful peppiness' and it will phase out. They somehow cannot accept my differing opinions and thoughts. I used to enter into discussion with them which turned into arguments.

That is when I realized I do not have intense need to be right. This is the way I see things & the reality is that just because I can see something does not mean that others have to see the same way. Others have their own ways to understanding things and 'their truths'.

After the pondering over God, Fate, this question pestered me :

Why am I here? What is the purpose? What is My Purpose?

when I was ruminating this question I stumbled on this FANTASTIC article:

Why does purpose matter?

Where I am now? :

I am the prime Mover of my Life!
I and only I am responsible for whatever happens in my life!

Nothing is predictable;All there is to one's life is what one creates for oneself.

I would like to quote a dialogue which I heard from a film & which makes sense to me:
"
you just have to be open to allowing for a truth which differs from your own opinions, or else you'll never actually see the truth at all.
"

Now I am inclined on the thought that there is something more to be explored, which I would like to name as Collective Consciousness. But still ... I am not sure.
Exploring....!!!...and I think this is why human brain is for: questioning, analyzing and fine tuning for understanding the 'TRUTH'.
It is a never ending progressive process!

People who read this may react anywhere from totally agreement to total disagreement . I request readers to post in their comments. Finally, a quote from Steve's blog here:
"
As I see it, if you and I agree on absolutely everything, we can’t help each other grow. It’s only by exploring our differences that we can learn from each other.
"

No comments: